cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlsymantec
Level 3

Localization String table in .cab file?

Hi
does anyone know if lang.msi or setup.exe strings table contain in .cab files at all?

i know setup.exe (using installscript project) creates a _Setup.dll which contains string tables for that setup.exe installation.
But if you create a Basic MSI project and under Release wizard, Check "create installation Launcher" which creates setup.exe, the following files gets create if you have "Chinese language" selected.

0x0411.ini file. this is also a string table database for MSI.
3038.mst microsoft transport file.

what's the different between _Setup.dll and 0x0411.ini files?

thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The 0xNNNN.ini files contain localized strings for messages displayed by setup.exe before launching the main MSI installation package; for example, strings displayed on the Preparing to Install dialog, setup.exe error messages, setup prerequisite dialog strings, etc. These INI files are somewhat analogous to the _Setup.dll in an InstallScript project.

Any .mst files included in the DISK1 folder contain localized strings used by the MSI package during the installation. This would include any strings on dialogs/controls, localized Directory names, etc.

The CAB files built for MSI projects do not contain any localized string information. The only information contained in the CAB's are the files from the Files and Folders view that are to be installed with the product.
0 Kudos
jlsymantec
Level 3

Thank you Josh.
I think you answer most of my questions.

quick questions is how do you view .cab files? i noticed if you build a compressed release of disk1, everything including ini files are contained in data1.cab and/or data2.cab; and i can't open data2.cab due to corruption? but i can open data1.cab. Not sure if this is installshield's issue.

also, can i save all string tables (ini files) into a single .cab files only without having other DLL, core files? i know .cab files contain other binary and core files; and i would like to separate the core .cab files and resource-only ini files.

thanks!
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If you are building MSI projects, most ZIP file utilities can view CAB files (the
Microsoft Cabinet SDK is used to create the CABs).

For InstallScript CAB/HDR files, you can use the InstallScript CAB viewer that is included with InstallShield. You can launch the viewer with InstallShield from Tools->InstallScript->Cabinet File Viewer. InstallScript CAB files can't be viewed correctly with any other utility.

I'm not sure what you mean by saving the setup string INI files in a CAB file. For MSI projects, these files are always separate so that they can be accessed by setup.exe. If you build a compressed setup.exe, the INI files are streamed into the built setup. For pure InstallScript projects, these INI files don't exist.
0 Kudos