cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
san_bsw
Level 3

Let the end user change the start menu path

Hi,

I am using the InstallShield 2012 Premier Edition.
Is it possible to let the end user decide in which folder in the windows start menu the program appears?

The common way is to create a shortcurt like "Start Menu" --> "Company Name" --> "Product Name". I would like to customize the installtion wizard so the user can edit this start menu path.

Thanks in advance
Christoph
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

That type of selection isn't used much anymore, but nowadays it depends on your project type. If you're using an InstallScript project, you might look into using the SdSelectFolder dialog box.
0 Kudos
san_bsw
Level 3

Hi,

I am using a Basic MSI project. Do I have to create my own dialog or are there any built in dialogs to solve it?

Christoph
0 Kudos
san_bsw
Level 3

Now I have created a new dialog with an edit field on it. I called its property STARTMENUFOLDER. The default value of the property is my company name.

The dialog works fine but I still want to customize the start menu path with this property.

The following attempt failed: In Short Cuts menu in InstallShield add [STARTMENUFOLDER] as display name.
Now the program gets installed under "[STARTMENUFOLDER]/Program Name/" in the start menu.

How can I access the property to create the proper start menu short cut?

Thanks in advance
Christoph
0 Kudos