cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcouvret
Level 2

LaunchApplication in New Thread

I have an Installscript MSI application that scripts the silent installs of a dozen or so applications. I preparing for Vista deployment (this is for the DoD, so we're behind the curve), two of the applications require Compatibility Mode to be set to Windows XP SP2. If that is set, the applications install just fine. If not, those installation packages fail.

I know how to set Compatibility Mode via the registry. (For those that might be searching, write HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers:FullPathToApplication="WINXPSP2".) However, if I launch these installation packages via LaunchApplication in Installscript, the compatibility settings in the registry are ignored because they run under the same thread as the main Installscript MSI application calling them and inherit its settings.

I am looking for a way to launch these applications from my Installscript MSI application and have the compatibility mode settings apply. I'd prefer to do this from Installscript, but I am open to any way possible to accomplish this. And no, I can't tell the vendor to update their applications for Vista. Also, I might be using the term "thread" wrong, but I hope someone understands what I am trying to communicate.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Marwan
Level 7

Did you try with and without the LAAW_OPTION_USE_SHELLEXECUTE flag?

More info on available APIs here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425(VS.85).aspx
0 Kudos