cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kadali_Prasad
Level 3

Launch a Second Windows Installer Installation

Trying to launch Python installer from installashield setup.exe by giving the following command:
msiexec.exe /i "[INSTALLDIR]MyDir\ActivePython-2.7.2.5-win64-x64.msi"

Install Exec Sequence is After InstallFinalize.
Returning process is Synchronous (Check exit code)

After installing the files python installer is invoked. During this installation the followong error is dispalyed:
"Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one"

How to do nested installation?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
phill_mn
Level 7

Nested installations are not allowed in the MSI world. While they were supported at one time they are frowned on now. You need to check out using a chained installer or creating a Suite project.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2006/01/23/516454.aspx
0 Kudos
Kadali_Prasad
Level 3

Thanks Phill.

I am able to accomplish my requirement using chained installer.
Here is my another requirement.

Through Chained .mis package First I am installing ActivePython-2.7.2.5-win64-x64.msi.
After that I would like to execute a batch file which would install portalocker files.
In Custom Actions I created a "LaunchPortlockerBatchFile" with
File and command line "[SystemFolder]cmd. exe" /c "[INSTALLDIR]Mindteck\portalocker-0.3\Portalocker.bat"
Install Exe Sequence After InstallFinalize
Install Exe Condition Not Installed

This custom action "LaunchPortlockerBatchFile" is called before Chained .mis which installs ActivePython.
So how to execute the custom action after Chained .mis?

phill_mn wrote:
Nested installations are not allowed in the MSI world. While they were supported at one time they are frowned on now. You need to check out using a chained installer or creating a Suite project.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2006/01/23/516454.aspx
0 Kudos
Kadali_Prasad
Level 3

Thanks Phil.

Through Chained .mis package First I am installing ActivePython-2.7.2.5-win64-x64.msi.
After that I would like to execute a batch file which would install portalocker files.
In Custom Actions I created a "LaunchPortlockerBatchFile" with
File and command line "[SystemFolder]cmd.exe" /c "[INSTALLDIR]Mindteck\portalocker-0.3\Portalocker.bat"
Install Exe Sequence After InstallFinalize
Install Exe Condition Not Installed

This custom action "LaunchPortlockerBatchFile" is called before Chained .mis which installs ActivePython.
So how to execute the custom action after Chained .mis?
0 Kudos