cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcCa
Level 4

Language support problem

Hello,

In our project there are two requirements on the languages. The first one is that the language of the installer must be selectable and second is that the language of our software UI is selectable. We're using 17 languages.

My problem is that I don't know how to create the shortcuts in the proper language, because they also have to be set to the UI language.

The problem occurs for example when my installer is in English and my software language is selected in Russian (different codepages).
I can't get the Russian characters in the shortcut name, because I selected English as the installer language.

The problem also occurs when I'm using the Russian language for the installer itself on an English XP OS. The installer itself does not display the right character.
It seem like it does not know them because ??? are displayed or other strange characters.

The characters in the string table for Russian look great by the way.
The same problem occurs for others language such as Greek.
I have the Premier edition of Installshield 2008 and thus full language support.

Can someone help me, because I have no idea how to fix this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
cbragg
Level 7

Firstly to change shortcut names based on language, you need to set up your release using the release wizard select your supported languages and turn on the option for language selection.

Your shortcut name needs to link to a string table entry, so that Installer can switch to a different string table based on language.

If language characters are not displaying characters then you need to ask whether or not the test PC contains support for double-byte characters and that the supported language is installed on that PC. In otherwords, are you installing Russian on a US pc?
0 Kudos
MarcCa
Level 4

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the changes you said, but the languages I need were already selected in the release wizard.

The second part of you reply is also already done. There are already default strings present in installshield along with my own strings and they look fine in the string tables. Only displaying them during the installation is not fine.

I'm indeed installing Russian (codepage 1251) on an English OS (codepage 1250) and I think there is the cause of this problem. If I'd have a Russian OS, I think all characters would look fine.
The codepages for all the neccessary languages are installed on a XP OS and I checked that.

Renaming an file on my PC with explorer to a filename with Russian or Greek characters works fine by the way.
I don't think Installshield has full unicode support, or does it?

Any other ideas how to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
cbragg
Level 7

Strangely enough, I think you need to download the Russian version of Windows Installer from my scan of the internet. Just go to the usual installer download page but select the language as Russian. See how that goes. Of course, your destination Russian PC is already likely to have this version anyway but I understand your need for testing first.
0 Kudos
MarcCa
Level 4

I'll look at it.
I have an installscript project by the way, aqnd no NSI project.
0 Kudos
MarcCa
Level 4

I'm one step further now and I think I can draw conclusions from it.

In the controlpanel->regional settings->advanced you can set the language to be used for non unicode programs.
I set that language to russian and now the program starts with russian characters, which is ok.

The first conclusion I draw is that the created installers from installshield do not support UNICODE.
The second conclusion is that I can't start the installer in english and then make some shortcuts with russian character with the installer.

Am I right with these conclusions? It would be better if there is a way to achieve UNICODE use, because than I'm not dependent on the codepage and I can use other characters in the Russian, Greek and Turkish language independent of the OS.
0 Kudos