cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cris_Moore
Level 5

Keep having to convert the same project?

Why do I have to keep converting the same project? I converted the project from 2009 to 2011. Then later, when I load the project again, I will be asked to convert it again. Then later, I need to convert it again. It doesn't happen every time, just some times. So far I've had to convert a project 4 times while working on it and another project.

Something is trigger the conversion process again. If I compare the last two ISM files (.76x) they are exactly the same. :confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(14) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Would it be possible for you to post a sample project that replicates the behavior so that I can look into it?
0 Kudos
Cris_Moore
Level 5

Do you need an entire project or just the ISM file?

hidenori wrote:
Would it be possible for you to post a sample project that replicates the behavior so that I can look into it?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Just an .ism
0 Kudos
Cris_Moore
Level 5

Here you go. I've had to convert this one 4 times. Except for the original, all other "conversions" compare identical.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Thank you for providing the sample project. However, I am not able to reproducible your issue with an InstallShield 2011 Premier on my XP box. Did you receive any errors during the conversion? What operating system is running on your development machine?
0 Kudos
Cris_Moore
Level 5

hidenori wrote:
Thank you for providing the sample project. However, I am not able to reproducible your issue with an InstallShield 2011 Premier on my XP box. Did you receive any errors during the conversion? What operating system is running on your development machine?

Bummer. I was hoping you would find something interesting in the ism. 😞

There were no errors during conversion, just one warning:
ISDEV : warning -6038: Removing unsupported Windows 9x MSI Engine Release Setting from release: JSUM Program
Upgrade completed with 0 errors, 1 warnings

I'm using IS2011 Eval on XP SP3.

Would it help if I provided the origin 2009 ism file?
0 Kudos
Cris_Moore
Level 5

OK. I've been able to reproduce this at will. Apparently, certain types of editing in IS will cause a "convert" to be triggered on the next reopen of the ism.

Here are the steps I used:
[LIST=1]
  • Initial open of 2009 ism and convert to 2011
  • Save/Exit IS.
  • Open IS and load converted ISM file. No "convert" required.
  • Edit a "Path Variable".(I made mine shorter and converted from relative to full path because IS2011 doesn't like relative paths.)
  • Save/Exit IS.
  • Open ISM. Must "convert" ISM file. 😞
  • Save/Exit IS.
  • Open ISM. No "convert" required.
  • Edit "Component" and change "Link Type" Dynamic path to changed done above.(I just cut and pasted the path variable)
  • Save/Exit IS.
  • Open ISM. Must "convert" ISM file. 😞
  • 0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

Thank you for the detailed reproduction steps. Can you try deleting the SaveAsSchema entry from the InstallShield table using the Direct Editor, and see if it solves your issue?
    0 Kudos
    Cris_Moore
    Level 5

hidenori wrote:
    Thank you for the detailed reproduction steps. Can you try deleting the SaveAsSchema entry from the InstallShield table using the Direct Editor, and see if it solves your issue?

The "SaveAsSchema" entry does not exist in the table, BEFORE or AFTER the convert.
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

I am seeing the SaveAsSchema entry in both your orignal project and upgraded project on my side. If you only see the entry in your orginal project, please try deleting it before upgrading the project, and see if it makes any difference.
    0 Kudos
    Cris_Moore
    Level 5

hidenori wrote:
    I am seeing the SaveAsSchema entry in both your orignal project and upgraded project on my side. If you only see the entry in your orginal project, please try deleting it before upgrading the project, and see if it makes any difference.

Please post a pic of this, as I do not see this option in the Table when I load the project in IS2009 or the converted ISM in 2011. I think I'm looking in the right spot. :confused:
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

See the attached screenshot.
    0 Kudos
    Cris_Moore
    Level 5

hidenori wrote:
    See the attached screenshot.

😄 Thanks. I was in the right area, but didn't look deep enough. 😮
    0 Kudos
    Cris_Moore
    Level 5

That seemed to do it. 🙂

Deleting the "SaveAsSchema" after converting was enough.

Thanks Ihidenori!
    0 Kudos