cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vaneeth
Level 3

Issues with Major upgrade - Urgent!!!!

Hello,
I am having some issues with major upgrade and need to resolve immediately.

I am upgrading from Version 1.2.0 of my software to 1.2.2

To bring our software to version 1.2.0 ,our clients were given the following two installers depending on if the clients were new or existing

1) Upgrade from version 1.1.0 to 1.2.0
2) Fresh installation to 1.2.0

The above installers have the same product code but different upgrade code

Now when i am trying to upgrade to version 1.2.2, i face the following issues

a) when the product code is not changed (same upgrade code as previous upgrade installer), my installation goes into maintenance mode (if the client has used the previous upgrade installer)

b) When the product code is changed i get two entries in Add/Remove program which is not desirable.

Would appreciate immediate and detailed response as I am a novice to installshield.

Many thanks in advance
Vaneeth
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
TheResearch
Level 6

Hi Vaneeth,

Look into the Major Upgrade Versioning Rules in this http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?mgr=agm&tpc=%2Frobo%2Fprojects%2Finstallshield14helplib%2FMajorMinorSmall.htm&wnd=InstallShieldLivingHelp%7CMain&agt=wsm&ctxid=showthread.php

Upgrade code should not be changed for ANY Upgrades.
So, typically u should change the Product Code and not Upgrade Code.

Hope this helps.

-VJ
0 Kudos
Vaneeth
Level 3

Hello VJ,

Many thanks for your immediate response.
As i said two different installers were distributed for the previous version . One fresh and one upgrade. My cureent upgrade installer should be able to update irrespective of the installer used in the previous version.

I have tried same upgrade code (as the previous upgrade installer) and different product code but i get two entries in the add/remove programs which i don't want

Another issue is that the two installers for the previous version have two different upgrade codes.

Any suggestion would be of great help.

Thanks and Regards,
Vaneeth
0 Kudos
TheResearch
Level 6

Hi Vaneeth,

It is impossible to do Upgrades if the UpgradeCode has changed.

You say that you have two installer with different Upgrade Codes. So, you can't create a single installer targeting both the packages.

"I have tried same upgrade code (as the previous upgrade installer) and different product code but i get two entries in the add/remove programs which i don't want"

Did you populate the Upgrade table?
0 Kudos
Vaneeth
Level 3

Thanks VJ for your response.

I have populated the upgrade table. I am currently concentrating on installer for installing on top of previous upgrade installer. My problem is I am getting two entries in the Add/remove program.Many thanks for your valuable suggestions

Also if i include the upgrade code for the othe installer in the upgrade table.Will it cater to both the installers?

Regards,
Vaneeth
0 Kudos
TheResearch
Level 6

Hi Vaneeth,

Can You paste the screen shot of the Upgrades view in the Installshield.

-VJ
0 Kudos
Nil_Developer
Level 3

Hi Vaneet,

If you are using diff upgrade code then you need to add these entry in upgrade table(latest installer).So before installation it will uninstall previous version.

Best practice is use same upgrade code for same family of package.

Thanks
Nil
0 Kudos
Vaneeth
Level 3

Many thanks VJ , Nil

The changes in entries of upgrade table worked like a charm.

On upgrading, it is deleting the virtual directory which is not desired.
The previous installer on creating VD did not mark it as permanent.Any thoughts how to prevent it from getting deleted.

Many thanks once agin for your valuable inputs.

Regards,
Vaneeth
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Vaneeth,

I am not sure how to do this, but before you check for previous versions you would have to somehow apply a patch to the existing setup to make sure that your Virtual Directory is flagged as permanent. That is the only method I can think of since your current install does not control the uninstall script for previous installs.
0 Kudos
Vaneeth
Level 3

Many thanks for your response.

Is there a way to manually mark the virtual directory and application pool pernmanent or can i add it in the system rgistry.

Any suggestion would be of great help.

Thanks and Regards,
Vaneeth
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I don't think a registry hack will help you here. The problem as far as I can tell will be that the cached MSI for the already installed application will not expect to check the registry keys, maybe this is not so - I cannot say that I have tried it, but logically it sounds like it would not work.

When you install a patch the cached MSI and registry are both updated.
0 Kudos