Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssuriyap
Level 3

Issue in patching conditional components

Scenario:
Feature1 has Component 1 with condition1 and Component2 with condition2
both component1 and component2 has same file name, say, file1.dll and same directory.
either of one Compoent will be deployed, not both.
both files are having same dll version but has byte diffs.

Issue:
when Patch includes whole files, not just the byte/bit diff.
during patch install, both components are getting deployed. i.e. component1.file first followed by component2.file overwrites.

when patch includes only byte diff,
during patch install, I see "error: 1328, error applying patch to file C:\config.msi\PTDEC2.tmp. it has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch"
in the install log, I also see PTDEC2.tmp is also cached properly Component1, but above error comes with Compoenent2.

question:
I don't want to overwrite one component file in by another component, how to avoid?

please help!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
ssuriyap
Level 3

I ended up deploying files in separate folders.

ssuriyap wrote:
Scenario:
Feature1 has Component 1 with condition1 and Component2 with condition2
both component1 and component2 has same file name, say, file1.dll and same directory but different contents.
either of one Compoent will be deployed, not both.
both files are having same dll version but has byte diffs.

Issue:
when Patch includes whole files, not just the byte/bit diff.
during patch install, both components are getting deployed. i.e. component1.file first followed by component2.file overwrites.

when patch includes only byte diff,
during patch install, I see "error: 1328, error applying patch to file C:\config.msi\PTDEC2.tmp. it has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch"
in the install log, I also see PTDEC2.tmp is also cached properly Component1, but above error comes with Compoenent2.

question:
I don't want to overwrite one component file in by another component, how to avoid?

please help!
0 Kudos