cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlankeD
Level 3

IsCmdBld.exe

Hello,
We are currently trying to include the isCmdBld.exe to a BuildSystem since we have to make a build every day.

The problem, is that InstallShield isn't installed on the computer with the build System.

I was wondering if there is any way i could make IsCmdBld.exe work without having InstallShield installed. (With the dlls, i don't know).

InstallScript project.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Depending on your InstallShield edition, you might be able to use the Standalone build system; the online help has more information.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

RobertDickau is correct. There is a standalone command line building option that comes with some of the Install Shield editions. It depends upon what version you are currently using and if it is a professional or enterprise edition. The installation for it should be on your installation disk of Install Shield. Provided, you are licensed for it. If it isn't there or you downloaded your installation, I would then contact the IS sales department. They should be able to help you.
0 Kudos
FlankeD
Level 3

ok thanks i got it!

I got another question on standAlone Build. I went through the parameters and done a first try with IsSABld.exe . The install it creates isn't the same as when I use Release Wizard. I found out that in Release Wizard, there is a small check box called Display small initialization dialog. That parameter doesn't seem to exist with standAlone build. Is there a way to reproduce it in stand alone build?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I think that you can get the same results if you use the automation interface with the Standalone Build: the SmallInitializationDialog member of the ISWiRelease object lets you display a small initialization dialog at run time. The documentation has some more information.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
FlankeD
Level 3

Thank you for your answer DebbieL.

I'm kind of new to this world, so What an automation interface is suppose to do.

From what i've seen so far, i'll have to do some C++ or C# code that will use that automation interface.
But what am I suppose to do with it?

My guess is :
The C++/C# code I will do will be executed just before I launch the build to modify the property SmallInitializationDialog then build the installer with that property modified?

Can someone explain a bit further please?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

You would need to write code that sets the property from the Standalone automation interface. To build a release, you have 2 choices: the ISWiRelease.Build method or IsSaBld.exe. If you choose IsSaBld.exe, you need to have a batch file that executes your automation code and IsSaBld.exe.

The following Tip (PDF) has some sample code:
Building Releases with the InstallShield Automation Interface

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
FlankeD
Level 3

I have something like that

SAAuto14.ISWiProject SAProject;
SAAuto14.ISWiRelease SARelease;
SAAuto14.ISWiProductConfig pProdConfig;
string ProjectPath;