cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omairmoh
Level 3

Is_sqlserver_password

I have situation where I need to get the password that user inputs during the SQL Login, to create a DSN for MySQL Connector with that same password.

I tried to keep the DSN attribute
PWD [IS_SQLSERVER_PASSWORD]

But after the installation I get a blank password.

Just to make things clear,
I start the installation get a dialog (SQLLogin) where I input servername, username and password.
I want the inputted password for configuring my MySQL ODBC connector. So I assign the attribute PWD with [IS_SQLSERVER_PASSWORD] but it turns up as blank.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

I don't think that DSNs save passwords for security reasons. If you configure a DSN through the Control Panel, the password field will be blank the next time you open the configuration panel.
0 Kudos
omairmoh
Level 3

Well, it does store the password. I have attached a screenshot.

Anyhow, I would want to use the username/password in a few other places as well during the installation. Can I not store it with IS_SQLSERVER_PASSWORD/USERNAME?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Storing password seems to be vendor-dependent. I was checking with a DSN for Microsoft's SQL Native Client ODBC driver which doesn't store the SQL login password.

In order to investigate your issue, could you generate a Windows Installer verbose log for the installation, and see how the IS_SQLSERVER_PASSWORD property gets set? Also, please check if the PWD entry is created for your DSN in the registry.
0 Kudos
omairmoh
Level 3

I wrote an install script to write the property IS_SQLSERVER_PASSWORD and it does write it. So the property does get stored.
It maybe a sequence problem, I think I should execute the ODBC connection only at the end, but I am not sure how I would do that...:confused:

EDIT:
Yippeeee, I got it working by changing the InstallODBC sequence and putting it in the last.

Thanks for helping me think 😉
0 Kudos