cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devdev
Level 2

Is it possible Full-Installation Upgrade without removing the previous installation?

Hi,
I have Installshield 2009 Express.

I have created my setup file setup.exe to deploy my program.
what I need is to create an update package to upgrade my program.
I need the update Full-Installation Upgrade Packages as explained on the help of InstallShield.
what i want to do is to install my updates without removing the previous installation.

I changed the major version from 3.0.000 to 4.0.000, I have not changed product code and upgrade code, but when I try to install the new update it returns the message "Another version of this product is already installed.... ".
Is it possible to create update Full-Installation Upgrade Packages without removing the previous installation with Installshield 2009 Express?

Other information:
Installshield 2009 Express
Windows XP Sp3
Windows Installer. Versione 3.01.4001.5512
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to be able to install multiple different versions of your product side-by-side. The best way to do this is to change the product code without specifying an upgrade path. Depending on what behavior you want later, you may also want to change the upgrade code.

Changing the product code will allow you to install both products simultaneously as though they are unrelated. Changing the upgrade code will allow you to (more easily) target them separately if you ever do want to do an upgrade that removes a previous version; however if you want to do an upgrade that removes all previous versions it would be easier with the upgrade code unchanged.
0 Kudos
devdev
Level 2

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry for my English if I probably explained wrong.
What i want to do is just to upgrade my program without receiving the error message: "Another version of this product is already installed.... ".
I don't need to have 2 versions of the same program on the same computer, but i want to upgrade the installed one to the new version.

I read in the help libray the article "Determining the best upgrade solution" where it's explained the possible upgrade solution.

Our situation is as follows:
"Some of the target systems have an earlier version of the product, and some do not have any version of the product". The solution explained for the upgrade is: Create a full-installation upgrade.

How I can do this without receiving the error message: "Another version of this product is already installed.... " and remove manually the earlier version?

Thanks

Bye
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Ah okay. In that case you are looking for a major upgrade. There should be more details around somewhere, but the quick basics for this are: change the Product Version and Product Code in General Information; then add a new Upgrade Path in Upgrade Paths (browse to your previous version, then make sure the version numbers make sense). The first half allows the clean install of the new version, and the second half makes sure the old version is removed.
0 Kudos