cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rootme
Level 4

Is InstallShield what I need

Hi,

I need to create an installer which doesn't have to install a classic application.
I would need to :
- verify some prerequisites
- copy files from some shared points to local computer
- read some user inputs and configure some configuration files

Until now I used IS to install classic application by setting their install directory, directory structure, its files, registry. Now I don't need to actually install an application. Will there be any issues with the install sequences ?

Thanks,
Bianca
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

It shouldn't be a problem; InstallScript has a built-in "no maintenance or uninstaller" mode that's useful for this kind of thing, and MSI has a handful of actions you can remove or "condition out" (see ICE82 for a list) if that's your preference...
0 Kudos
rootme
Level 4

RobertDickau wrote:
It shouldn't be a problem; InstallScript has a built-in "no maintenance or uninstaller" mode that's useful for this kind of thing, and MSI has a handful of actions you can remove or "condition out" (see ICE82 for a list) if that's your preference...

Hi,

Are there any docs related to this issue ? Do you know of this kind of installation package created with IS ?

Thanks for you time,
Bianca
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

This thread gives you some of the details:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=166541

You can create an msi-based installation, but remove the actions that do the background stuff. One of my installations did pretty much the kind of thing you are describing, but we wanted our users to be able to "install" it in multiple locations, so this worked for us, and i think it'll work for you.
0 Kudos