cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firmusoft
Level 5

Internet information services view

Hi all

Our installshield project creates a virtual directory under the "Default Web site" and also sets this to run under a custom Application pool. Both the virtual directory and the app pool has been configured using the "Internet Information Services" View.

The install developer machine has IS 2008 Premier (version 14) and the build machine has IS 2008 Stand alone.

The install built in the developer machine creates and configures the virtual directory correctly in both IIS 6 and IIS 7.

The install built using stand alone version (same project) creates the virtual directory in IIS 6, but in IIS 7 (Windows server 2008 R2), the virtual directory and application pool are not created.

Any ideas what could be going on..? How can we know if the Standalone version of IS 2008 has all the patches/service packs released so far? In standalone, do we have something similar to the "Check for updates" option in IS 2008 premier edition?

At this point, i am inclined to think that the standalone IS version is missing some patch, which is causing the installs created using it to not work correctly with IIS 7... Let me know if this could be due to any other reason as well...

Sincerely
Praveen
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
firmusoft
Level 5

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that the project is a "Installscript" type one (and not "Basic MSI" or "Installscript MSI")....

In MSI based projects, one can generate the log by passing in command line args to msiexec or setup.exe....

Can we generate a similar log for installscript type projects..? We searched the forms and found some suggestions to manually write to file from the installscript, but that only helps to debug the installscript...

Since we use the "Internet Information Services" View to configure the virtual directory, is there some mechanism that allows us to debug what is going on when the install runs ?

Also we have confirmed that this issue is with the Stand alone version of IS 2008, by making a test project that only creates a virtual directory and copies couple of files...

Results as follows
--> When built using IS 2008 developer studio - works ok in iis 6 and 7
--> When built using IS 2008 stand alone - works in iis 6 but not in iis7

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos