cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heiner_violet
Level 7

Installshield 2008 automation problem

I'm using a vbscript file that calls the Installshield automation interface to modify an existing project (Installshield 2008) under Window Vista.
The vbscript file often aborts with an error "Windows script host has stopped to work".
In the windows event protocol appears an error: wrong application WScript.exe, wrong module IsUiServices.dll_unloaded.
This error also occurs, if the vbscript is short - simply open and close project.
I have tried it with data execution prevention (dep) turned off and on - it did not help.

Has anyone an idea, what is to be done in order to get the vbscript executed?

Thanks in advance, H.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
heiner_violet
Level 7

Installation of the Standalone Build and replacing ISWIAuto14... by SAAuto14...
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

I'm sorry, but this did not solve my issue completely!
Building from vbScript seems to work correct.
BUT running the so built setup, the following error occurs

"ERROR 1152: prerequisite X could not be extracted".

I need help, H.
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

do you use prerequisites and/or merge modules in your project?
Do you point to the correct location of these files on your build commandline?
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Hi Christoph,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, my msi-setup uses both, merge-modules and setup-prerequisites.
I set the pProj.MergeModuleSearchPath to the appropriate path.
But now, for the first time, I recognize, that my automated build produces 4 errors (output of release.BuildErrorCount). In the logFiles folder of my release, an error file is created but this file is empty and has 0 bytes.
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

If you build your installer from the commandline with the command:
'ISSaBld -p "projectname.ism" -a -r -o %MERGEMODULES% > %ISLOGFILE%' can you read the logfile?

Do you also receive the same 4 errors here?
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Hi Christoph,
Thank you for your suggestion.
Now I know that the build errors are coming from a missing setup prerequisite. If the merge-module/prerequisites are placed below
%programFiles%\Macrovision\StandaloneBuild the build succeeds. But i would prefer to leave them on their original places.
Do you know if it is possible to define an arbitrary merge-module path?
Best regards, H.
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

The merge modules path can be defined on the standalone build commandline after the '-o' parameter. Look in the help of installshield.

To define your own prerequisites location, you can modify the prerequisites location from the redistributables view or you can do it straight from the ISSetupPrerequisites table.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Hi Cristoph,

The -o parameter seems not to work. My usage is
-o "C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008" Or
-o "C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\SetupPrerequisites".
The only way to build successfully is to copy the prerequisite to
"C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS 2008 StandaloneBuild\SetupPrerequisites".

I have found an older thread telling of a bug that the -o Parameter doesn't work as expected: http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/bugs_isw115.htm, IOC-000045700, and that this bug should be fixed in IS 12. Maybe it hasn't been fixed yet. I shall ask this in a new thread.

As to the ISSetupPrerequisites table, this table contains a correct entry if I open the project with Installshield. Or has this table to be populated separately?

Best regards, H.
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

Like I already told you, -o is the path for pointing to merge modules.
If you want to place 'prerequisites' in another location as the SetupPrerequisites folder of your Standalone installlocation, you need to modify the prerequisites location from the redistributables view or you can do it straight from the ISSetupPrerequisites table.
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Thanks Christoph for your quick reply,

Unfortunately, I did not understand your suggestions.
My test project contains a single prerequisite, that is located in a folder other than the StandaloneBuild folder. I opened this project in Installshield.

1. The ISSetupPrerequisites table, column 'ISBuildSourcePath', contains the full path to the prerequisite. What else has to be edited here?

2. In the redistributables view, how can I change the location of the prerequisite?
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

So... you use merger modules and prerequisites in your project?

Installshield(standalone build also) has a default location for storing merge modules and prerequisites(the setupprerequisites-folder of installshield).

If you want to use your own customized storage locations you need to use the -o parameter for pointing to the merge modules location and you need to include the prerequisite in your project from your customized location. This can be done by choosing edit prerequisite in the redistributables view. From the 'Files to include' tab, you can include your prerequisites from your customized location...
0 Kudos
heiner_violet
Level 7

Hi Christoph,
Thanks for your patience.

Merge-module location: -o parameter. Works.

Prerequisite location: Editing the ISSetupPrerequisites Table. Works.
Problem was a path in the prq-file, which evaluates different when building with issabld.exe. I changed this path to the full path.

Best regards. H.
0 Kudos