cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottd72
Level 7

Installscript project built without errors even though files were missing?!?!?

I have an Installscript Proj, and if you go into the Files and Folders view you will see that there are a few files that are not in their "Link to" locations, and show up as size 0 bytes. Normally, when this happens in an MSI installscript project I will get an error when I try to build for each file that is not there. But Installscript projects don't throw up any errors or warnings. It actually lets you build the project, and the .exe will run. This is NOT good.

Has anyone else noticed this - is this a known issue?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is intentional, and is maintained for backwards compatibility within the respective project types. But yes it's definitely an unexpected friction point when switching between Basic MSI and InstallScript projects and expecting the other behavior to carry through.
0 Kudos
scottd72
Level 7

Ok, I understand its for backward compatibility, but shouldn't there at least be a config switch to turn on errors, or at least have the build throw out warnings? We just let an install go out the door without some files.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Did you not receive the warning? That would be a bug. I ran a quick test (on my development version) and saw (in the build output; note that it doesn't take you to the tasks pane when there are no errors):

ISDEV : warning -5000: Component 'DefaultComponent' contains a link to a nonexistent file - 'C:\missingfile.txt'
0 Kudos