cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ced-ia
Level 3

Installscript and Merge Module

I have an installscript project and have added a merge module to a Feature. The merge module installs fine, but the installscript must set a property of the merge module - a license key.
I have tried MsiSetProperty() and get an error during compile for unknown function.

Can you use MsiSetProperty in a purely Installscript project?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
ced-ia
Level 3

As a follow on - if I cannot use MsiSetProperty() how would I set a property in a merge module using Installscript?

I have tried FeatureSetTarget() and the function operates but does not seem to update the property for the merge module (.msm file). Perhaps the target media specified is wrong - I specified the Feature that the merge module is associated with.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I would not suggest using the Merge Module via the holder object (MMHO). Instead I would suggest building a Basic MSI project which consumes the merge module, and installing it and removing it through calls to LaunchApplication. You can then pass properties on the command line.

While the MMHO is convenient, the requirements that MSI places on installations are not well satisfied by its approach, so the MMHO has been deprecated.
0 Kudos
ced-ia
Level 3

Thanks for the reply - I was wondering if either a Basic MSI or Installscript with MSI was a better approach.
My issue with that is that my Installscript project was an existing project and the msm was a new addition.
Short of getting the Premier addition (I have professional 2011) is their any way to easily convert an Installscript project to one of the other two, probably Installscript with MSI - assuming that works as well as Basic MSI with the merge module.

Or can I just start a new project and use the existing GUID to tag this project as the same as the previous? I want it to appear as the same project during install and uninstall so that installing the new will uninstall the old.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Oh, you could migrate your whole project to Basic MSI (you'd have to perform a manual uninstall of the preceding InstallScript version), but I was just suggesting replacing the use of the merge module via MMHO to using it via an additional minimal Basic MSI project.
0 Kudos
ced-ia
Level 3

Oh okay - now I see where you were going - I will see about incorporating the msm into a basic msi project and then launching that installer from my installscript project.

Thanks
0 Kudos