cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mayurbirari
Level 5

Installing multiple instances of the product - Installscript MSI project

I would like to modify an Installscript MSI installer project so that it can install multiple isntances of the product. Anybody has idea, how can I do that?
I'm using IS 2008 premier.

Thanks,
Mayur.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

InstallScript MSI projects cannot have multiple instances installed due to the uninstall key and installation information maintained by the InstallScript engine, among other things. A Basic MSI or pure InstallScript project would be recommended if you need to allow multi-instance support.
0 Kudos
mayurbirari
Level 5

ok. If I convert it to pure installscript, then how can achieve this?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The Maintenance tab of the Project->Settings dialog in an InstallScript project provides various maintenance experience options for the project; one option is Multi-Instance. Selecting this will enable multiple instance support in an InstallScript project.
0 Kudos
mayurbirari
Level 5

Thanks. That's exactly what i was looking for. Now the question remains can I convert Installscript MSI project to pure installscript?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

You can convert the project through the Project->Project Converters->Convert to InstallScript project menu item.

Note that converting from InstallScript MSI to InstallScript will lose anything in the project that is Windows Installer specific (such as custom actions, merge modules, services configured through a component, etc.).
0 Kudos