cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobmcm
Level 5

Installing a Web Application

I am trying to install a Web application, and am running into several problems:

1. The Virtual Directory is created as a virtual directory only, not a application directory. This seems to be the exact opposite of other posters in the community.

2. I have added the MIME types for Silverlight (.XAP, XBAP, XAML), but they doe not show up on the website. If I add them manually, the error message that indicates they are missing goes away.

3. I've placed the 2.0.50727 version number for ASP.Net in the configuraion, but it still points to the 1.1 version.

I've tried this on both a 2003/IIS 6 box, and a Windows XP box, and have had the same results. It appears that the IIS section of the application is not being run at all.

Bob McMahan
Futuresoft, Inc.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
rasky74
Level 6

What type of project (Installscript, Basic MSI)?
0 Kudos
bobmcm
Level 5

Sorry, I rewrote the messages several times, and thought that I included that information. I'm using an Installscript MSI installation w/ IS2009.
0 Kudos
bobmcm
Level 5

I have also noticed that the default page information is also not being set either. It seems that none of the information that is set in the Server Configuration/Internet Information Services section is being set on the server.

To setup the sytem, I'm installing the files using a standard component (TMWS_Files), and then I'm pointing the New Virtual directory at that component and its target directory. Is this the correct way of doing this. This is my first Web App installation that I've done in installshield.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
rasky74
Level 6

I recommend having a component that is just for the virtual directory and a seperate component for the files.
0 Kudos
bobmcm
Level 5

I'm not sure that I understand. Should I have an empty component for the virtual directory, and then have the component(s) that contain the files for the web application?
0 Kudos
rasky74
Level 6

Yes so within the IIS editor the empty component is associated with that Virtual Directory. I believe then IS will install that component first (creating the VD) and then install the component that contain your website files.
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

if you are creating a virtual directory under a website, make sure your settings for the Web site are correct. Check the port number and site number for the website as well as the name.

Next make sure you are setting the ASP.NET Version in both the website and the virtual directory since you cannot have 2 versions of ASP.NET running in one website. For your virtual directory, make sure you have it mapped to the correct local file and the correct application name and application pool if you are using IIS 6.

The only other thing I can think of causing the issue for setting the ASP.NET is if version 2.0 of the .net framework is not present on the machine or was installed before IIS was. This would result in some of the settings in IIS not being completely correct.

James
0 Kudos
bobmcm
Level 5

Thanks for the help. I misunderstood what the help was saying, and after reading the help, I realized that I had to create a website, and a virtual directory. I thought that creating the website also created the virtual directory. After moving where the component installed the website, things became much more clear.

I never did resolve the issue with the mime type, so I just wrote it to the registry as part of the component, instead of using the File Type tab. When I used the file type tab, I saw the extension get added, but the content type value never got added.

The other issue that I had a problem with was the custom action. No matter where I put it, it always ran before the files were copied to hard drive, so the custom action would be called, but because the file that executed in the custom action was not there, the operations that were required were not there. I did so many things trying to figure out why the custom action wouldn't run at the proper location, I'm not really sure what solved the problem, but it is working now.

Thanks again for all of the responses, I learned alot,
0 Kudos