cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remkop
Level 3

Installing SQL Server 2008

Hi,

We are trying to install SQL Server as prerequisite with our application.
We have the prerequisites of SQL Server 2008 Express. Because this installer needs other prerequisites Windows Installer 4.5 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 we install them first as prerequisites.

Sofar no problems. If our setup is installing the SQL Server it stops and directs to a log-file. Here is states that a restart was expected....
(btw it's is a clean XP with SP2 system where we are trying to instal it)

Does anyone have any sugestions to solve this??
I tried td solve it with removing the 'norestart' in de WI4.5 prerequisite.

If I reboot manualy the setup will not start automitacally. So I have to start the setup manualy. The The server is installed correctly. However the at the end it says that it failed. But if I try it out with our application it can make a connection and save records so it seam that it is installed correctly.

Maybe one interesting thing to know is that I suplied commandline parameters to do a silent setup of the SQL server. I tried this commandline install with a bat-file and that works fine.

Thanks for any suggestions to solve this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
remkop
Level 3

In this(http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/6c8e72b2-7a5d-455b-aeac-aca63650530a/ ) forum they talk about the same problems of rebooting after WI 4.5. However I don't understand the solution they are talking about.

"I have made my installer install MSI 4.5, reboot the machine, run the installer again via the RunOnce registration key and then install SQL Server 2008 Express."

I also found this tread at this forum (http://community.acresso.com/archive/index.php?t-186270.html)
There they state that the condition of the prerequisite should be
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100' in stead of 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLEXPRESS\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion'
It should be the last one but this only applicable if you install the instance SQLEXPRESS. If you install an other instance than you should also change the prerequisite condtion.
So this solves the failure at the end of manualy restarted setup after rebooring the computer.

The problem resting is:
The setup reboots the computer after installing WI4.5 but resumes the setup not with checking the prerequisites but with installing the application.
0 Kudos