cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jslocum
Level 3

Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 as Install OR Upgrade

I have an application that we have been distributing with SQL Server 2008 and we would now like to upgrade our users to SQL Server 2008 R2. I would like the same installation program to be run by old users (who will be upgrading) and new users (who will just get a full install of R2).

The problem is that in the SQL Server 2008 R2 Redistributable, I must specify either "/ACTION="Install" OR "/ACTION="Upgrade".

I would like the SQL Server 2008 R2 Command line parameters to be different depending upon if a prior version of my SQL Server instance is already installed or not.

I can't see any way to make the command line conditional. Alternatively, I had hoped to be able to create a copy of the SQL Server 2008 R2 Redistributable (one for a full install and one for an upgrade) but I couldn't see a way to do that either.

Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
jslocum
Level 3

I solved my problem by duplicating the .prq file and renaming it. Then I had 2 copies that I could conditionally include or exclude as redistributables. Since they are set to download from the web, it didn't really add any extra size to my installation.
0 Kudos