cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avazehkarimian
Level 2

Installing SQL Express faces an error

Hi Dears,

I am creating a setup for one of my applications, which needs SQL Express 2008 be installed at firs.

(When the setup starts installing, it installs "WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.prq" and "PowerShell.1.0.WinXP.x86.prq " for sql first)

while setup installs SQL it fails and returns an error:
SQL Server setup encountered the following error :
The String "S" specified is not recognized.
Error Code : 0x84B40003

but when i search for this error code i finde nothing.

I specified this command line for sql in setup prerequisites:

/s /qn /ACTION="Install" /FEATURES="SQLENGINE" /INSTANCENAME="SAFASQLEXPRESS" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /SECURITYMODE="SQL" /SAPWD="1" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS" /norestart

what should i do to solve this problem?

Best Regards,
Avazeh
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

I think that you need to remove the /s option because it is not a valid command line option for SQL Server 2008. If it does not help, try running the SQL Server 2008 setup from the command line prompt manually and see if you are getting the same error.
0 Kudos
avazehkarimian
Level 2

dear Hidenori,

i removed the /s before u say, but in this case it wouldn't be quiet(silent) install and shows the sql setup's windows to the user, i dont want to show them to the user.

what exactly i want is : silent install of sql. no related windows shown to the end user.

Thanks,
Avazeh
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I think that you need to specify /q instead of /qn. Please refer to How to: Install SQL Server 2008 from the Command Prompt for more information.
0 Kudos