cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterTrefren
Level 2

Installing Program Files Under C Drive

How do I configure InstallShield 2012 to install the program files in a directory off the C-Drive? The executable and other files would go under C:\MyApp.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

This is generally a bad practice as beleive it or not, it's possible to have a Windows Installation without a C:\ Drive. Normally you would use [WindowsVolume]MyApp to set InstallDir to which 99% of the time is C:\ BTW, it's also another violation of best practices to install to root like that outside of ProgramFilesFolder. ProgramFilesFolder has been a standard since 1995... and you aren't supposed to do that and the days of Windows 3.1 are over. ( I know, but we've always done it that way.... )

Now I've also had people insist to install things like D:\Data\MyApp. When I mention this bad practice they say "oh, our customer will always have a 😧 drive" to which I say "what about your development test VM's? I don't see a 😧 on those!!"

My compromise in those situations is to default to [WindowsVolume]Data\MyApp and use a CustomAction that checks for a 😧 and it's suitability ( fixed disk not removable media ) and if valid use a Set Directory command to override it to the hard coded D:\Data\MyApp value.
0 Kudos