cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gzvinstall
Level 4

Installation stops abruptly

One of our customers is having trouble installing our product on one of their server machines. Installation ends abruptly with no error message. They said that they are installing it on a clean machine.

I am attaching their install log for reference.

Any quick help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

It appears this is a setup built with DevStudio 9. The behavior seen is related to an old issue with the InstallScript engine that was resolved in InstallShield 12 with the script engine architecture changes. The following KB provides more information on this behavior:
Q111303: PRB: Installation Interrupted Message on Some Win2k, XP SP2, and 2003 Machines

Note that the issue applies to Windows 2000 SP4 or newer.

It is recommended that this setup be rebuilt in InstallShield 12 or newer to mitigate these types of issues.
0 Kudos
gzvinstall
Level 4

Thanks for your response.

I came across that article while I was googling to find the cause.

But what puzzles me is that the same install works fine on other server machines for our customer.

Could this security setting be still the issue?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Most of the time the security setting was the cause of the behavior. We never ran across other causes that I am aware of. This was an issue because the InstallScript engine in versions 11.5 and older would attempt to impersonate the MSI custom action thread's security token (for OnMoved), and without this privilege, the impersonation attempt would fail. The issue may or may not occur based on the target machine's configuration.
0 Kudos