cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgturner
Level 3

Installation package for Windows CE 5.0

Where can I find an example of how to create an installation package for a Windows CE 5.0 application?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

I'm not aware of any examples, but InstallShield does include wizards that help you through the process.

What type of delivery method for your installation do you want to use? Either a straight-to-device installation, or desktop-to-device installation? The delivery method that you want to use helps determine what type of project you should use to create the installation.

Creating a Straight-to-Device Installation
A straight-to-device installation installs a product directly to the Windows Mobile–powered device. This type of installation does not use Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center, Microsoft ActiveSync, or any other desktop component. This type of installation also supports the deployment of a product through a storage card that is inserted into a Windows Mobile–powered device.

If you want to create a straight-to-device installation, create a Smart Device project. When you create or edit this project type, InstallShield launches the Smart Device Setup Wizard, which leads you through the process of identifying the files, platform requirements, and other data for Windows Mobile–powered devices.

Creating a Desktop-to-Device Installation
A desktop-to-device installation installs a product to the end user’s desktop computer first. The installation launches the Application Manager or uses either Windows Mobile Device Center or ActiveSync to install the mobile device product onto the Windows Mobile device when it is connected with the desktop computer. The installation can also optionally register an icon file on the desktop computer with Windows Mobile Device Center or ActiveSync, so that the icon is displayed within the Application Manager window.

If you want to create a desktop-to-device installation, create an Express project for your desktop installation. In this project, use the Mobile Devices view (in the View List, under Specify Application Data, click Mobile Devices) to add support for one or more mobile device installations to your project. For more information, see "Adding an Installation for a Windows Mobile Device to Your Project" in the InstallShield Help Library.

The Windows Mobile Wizard, which InstallShield launches when you add or edit Windows Mobile support through the Mobile Devices view, leads you through the process of identifying the files and other data for Windows Mobile–powered devices. It lets you target certain platforms and processors as needed.

You can press the Help button in any wizard panel (or press F1 from within a wizard or in any area within InstallShield) for more information.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
rgturner
Level 3

Thanks!!! That's enough information to get me started.
0 Kudos