cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bornali
Level 5

Installation not complete in Win server 2003

I am using Installshield 2009, Basic MSI. My installer is supposed to install all files as well as call ant deploy script for the deployment as well (replacing some configuration variable depending on what user enters in UI).
This happens fine in Win XP, and i get full log.
But not in Win server 2003. It install the files, but does not deploy. I also do not get much log. So my installscript function 'antdeploy' is not getting called.
So what i tried was to set up the Install condition (general information>product properties) to be as follows:
Condition= Not (Version9X=400 Or Version9X=410 Or Version9X=490 Or VersionNT=400)
Message = [ProductName] require Windows 2000 or greater

But that made no change, which i kind of suspected because the problem lies in the deployment, installation of files works fine even before i used the conditions above.
What am i missing here? Why does everything work fine in XP but not in Win 2003?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
sharris
Level 2

I had the same problem. I was running a script at the end of installation from the PRODUCTDIR. All the files in this directory get copied to a temporary directory then deleted at the end of installation.

I fired off a process using LaunchApp (even tried kernel32.ShellExecuteEx) then (I think) when the installation finished, it deleted up the temporary directory before the new process executed.

Now, this was my assumption, I can't prove that it happened that way.

But when I copied my script to the TARGETDIR and ran it from there, it ran fine.

CopyFile(PRODUCTDIR ^ "scriptname.bat", TARGETDIR ^ "scriptname.bat");
LaunchApp(TARGETDIR ^ "scriptname.bat", "args");
0 Kudos
bornali
Level 5

I fixed the issue.
1. Ran some windows update, restarted the machine.

2. the installer was looking for a path in the machine where the installation was happening for a file used to fill in the actual values during deployment, and this was missing.

3. When RDP-ing to a server for installation ensure that you are console or admin, else the installtion may not be complete.
so use mstsc.exe /console or
mstsc.exe /admin depending on what version of RDP you have, to login to the server. This ensures you are user 0 (admin).
0 Kudos