cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
payaldesai
Level 3

Installation gets Interrupted if User does not select "Allow" option

Hi,
We are using IS 2008 to build the .msi for client application. However, installation seems like baby sitting process.

Once user selects install location and accepts agreement, installation starts and after few seconds, UAC allow/cancel elevation prompts. Now if user does not select "Allow" option till some five minutes or so, installation automatically gets interrupted and install failure popup is seen. I could not find related thing in install script?

Ideally that popup should get elevated until user selects either Allow or Cancel option. I think Any solution to above problem?

Payal
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
packagechief
Level 5

payaldesai wrote:
Hi,
We are using IS 2008 to build the .msi for client application. However, installation seems like baby sitting process.

Once user selects install location and accepts agreement, installation starts and after few seconds, UAC allow/cancel elevation prompts. Now if user does not select "Allow" option till some five minutes or so, installation automatically gets interrupted and install failure popup is seen. I could not find related thing in install script?

Ideally that popup should get elevated until user selects either Allow or Cancel option. I think Any solution to above problem?

Payal

seems to be a UAC or general a Vista and IS Problem (as far as i know Version 2008 isn't compatible with new Window Installer 4.5 which comes with Vista)

have you tried to completely deactivate UAC ?

see also

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/12/03/uac-prompt-from-unidentified-publisher-appears-when-uninstalling-msis-on-windows-vista.aspx

will say that there seems to be a serious problem with UAC and Installshield Packages
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is indeed a general UAC timeout issue. One option to work around it would be to launch the install elevated (either from an elevated command prompt if you are using a raw MSI, or by right clicking the setup.exe and choosing run as administrator, or selecting the required execution level of Administrator in the releases view). This will move the UAC prompt to the front or even before the MSI, so there will be no prompt that times out in the middle of the install. However it's generally recommended that you start an MSI installer as the invoker for various other reasons, so I can't really suggest these options.

Also just to clarify on IS2008 vs. MSI 4.5: IS2008 does not support any of the new features in MSI 4.5, but in general all existing supported functionality of MSI 4.0 and before should work fine on a system with MSI 4.5. In short, IS2008 should be compatible with, but does not support, MSI 4.5.
0 Kudos
payaldesai
Level 3

Thanks Michael for reply.

Requirement is Admin should be able to install/uninstall app and later both admin/standard user should be able to launch and run it.

So Required Execution Level should be set to Invoker only. And to support the product on VISTA (UAC enabled), Require Admin Privileges are set to YES.

Even during Uninstall process, if user does not select ALLOW option on UAC prompt till some time, it results in "Error 1730: You must be an administrator to remove this application. To remove this application, you can log on as administrator..." though I am admin on my system.

Any solution through which I can put work around / permanent solution for both install / uninstall ALLOW/CANCEL UAC popup timeout issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Best Regards.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There may be some policy or setting to change the UAC timeout, but I'm not aware of it. Even if there is that will only help on machines which you control before this install is started. I advise not worrying about this UAC behavior, as it is standard across all packages. If it really worries you, throw something in a readme or release notes so at least some people will find that before reporting a problem.
0 Kudos