cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spdracer
Level 5

Installation Requirements

My release team is having a discussion about what needs to go into an installation requirements document and who should provide it. I am asserting that the developers should be providing us with an requirements document from which we can create the installer. Does anyone here have an suggestions of what should be included in this document or templates? I have searched the web and have found nothing.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
timstspry
Level 7

Hello, just off the top of my head, you would want to include the following items:

Supported Operating Systems including if 64-bit

Directory structure of the files installed on the target computer - to know whether or not the installer will require administrator or elevated privilges

Any software prerequisites for the application such as a particular version of the .NET Framework, particular version of MDAC, etc.

Will any SQL scripts need to be executed? If so, what will be the database information needed to establish a connection and what database will the scripts be run in?

Does the install need to be silent, or will there be a user interface? If there is a user interface, what types of things do you want your end-users to enter? License Agreement, product code, etc?

What is the main executable end-users will be running? This is the .exe you would create shortcuts for on the desktop and programs group.

What registry settings need to be written? You should think of future releases of your product as well as different features of the product that may or may not be selected for install by your end-users.

What features does the application you will be installing have? Are some of them optional? This you can use to determine how to structure the installer into features.

Do you want your end-users to be able to add/remove features once the product has been installed? Speaks to the type of maintenance to allow in the installer.

Can't think of much else for now - hope this has helped!

Tim
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Hi,

timstspry has already listed most relevant information you will need.
One more thing to mention: the upgrades.

• Do you want your application to be upgradable?
  • What sort of upgrade do you want to support (minor/major)?
  • How do you want to deploy patches?
  • Is online update an option?

The above points are tightly related to the versioning rules the developers are using.

Regards
0 Kudos