cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkleczek
Level 2

InstallShield's setup.exe does not see genuine USB stick when run with Wine on Ubuntu 22.04

I have a program (an electronic dictionary) on a genuine USB stick which is normally installed on Windows using InstallShield 12 installer by Macrovision.
Everything runs smoothly on my Windows 7, but since Windows 7 is no longer supported, I've decided to migrate to Ubuntu 22.04.

Now, when I tried to install this program using Wine (I entered the /media/<user>/PWN/ directory and executed "wine setup.exe") I get an error saying that I can perform the program installation only using the original/genuine carrier (i.e., CD-ROM / USB stick / ...).

I guess the problem is that Wine acts as some sort of man-in-the-middle and setup.exe does not see the USB stick directly.

Is it possible to somehow get it to work?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Installshield is designed to create Installers for Windows OS - it isn't tested to create installers that support emulators on other OS types.
In addition Installshield 12 was End-of-lifed 12 years ago in 2010, so again support for this will be limited.

I did find the following article on an ubuntu forum which may help configure Wine to do what you want.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2322134

0 Kudos