cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Getefix
Level 3

InstallShield on a Network

I want to set up an Ant build so on every build a new installer is made. There are several projects involved with this so several installers will be made, but they're all on separate virtual machines.

My question is: is it necessary to have a single license for every VM that wants a copy of InstallShield? Or is it possible to install InstallShield on a single VM and mount the InstallShield directory to a drive on every other VM and run it from there? Obviously if that would require many registry tweaks so it's not desirable. As well, would doing that violate the EULA? I think it would be doable if InstallShield was installed on the buildserver host but that's not desirable.

I've already tried simply mounting it and attempting to use it that way. That was unsuccessful. Any suggestions are appreciated 😄
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Getefix
Level 3

this is the output from the terminal

mount:
[exec] The command completed successfully.
[exec]

build:
[exec] Result: -529697949

unmount:
[exec] e: was deleted successfully.
[exec]

"-529697949" ???
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not qualified to assess whether this follows the EULA, but my guess is that it wouldn't. However if you have or could upgrade to the Premier edition, and your need on each VM is for building instead of editing project files, you may be able to use the Standalone Build for this (at least up to a certain count). Check the EULA, or contact your sales or legal representative to be sure.
0 Kudos
Getefix
Level 3

I see that the premier edition only offers 10 licenses for the standalone builder. Is there any way to purchase additional standalone builders? 10 really limits us so if we would need to buy additional copies of InstallShield then that's not a reasonable solution.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Please contact your sales representative. If the Premier edition and standalone build are not sufficient for your needs, we also offer a floating/concurrent licensing model. I'm sure your sales representative could help sort out what your options are and which fits your needs best.
0 Kudos
Getefix
Level 3

Thanks Michael, you have been much more helpful than the sales people I've been talking with.

The floating license is exactly what we have been looking for, however the minimum of three licenses makes it a poor choice for us. Thank you anyway.
0 Kudos