cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonmorse
Level 3

InstallShield editor crashes Visual Studio 2008 with Smart Device CAB projects

When working with InstallShield from within Visual Studio, if my solution contains any (Microsoft) Smart Device CAB Projects I have the problems listed below.

Workaround:

Remove all Microsoft Smart Device CAB projects from your solution.

Problems:
[LIST=1]
  • New InstallShield Smart Device Project not added to solution
  • Smart Device wizard crashes

1. New Smart Device Project Not Added to Solution

• Open VS2008 solution
    • Right-click, solution -> Add New Project
    • Select InstallShield 2010 -> Smart Device Setup Project

The project is created with the name and location I entered however it is not visible in the solution nor do I see the Smart Device Wizard. Also, the InstallShield project file is locked because trying to move/delete the file in Explorer gives an error. I have to close all instances of Visual Studio to unlock the file. Closing the solution is not sufficient.

2. Smart Device Wizard Crashes
    I can manually add the InstallShield Smart Device project that I created (but wasn't added) to the solution. However, clicking any links in the Project Summary page (e.g. Smart Device Wizard, Application Information, Destination Folder, XML Files, etc.) Visual Studio crashes.

Application information:
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, Enterprise, Version 9.0.30729.4108 QFE
    InstallShield 2010 Editor, Premier Edition
  • Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (4) Replies
    DebbieL
    Level 17

Are you able to create a new Smart Device project in standalone InstallShield (without integrating with Visual Studio)? Can you try that, and then try to create a new Smart Device project from within your Visual Studio solution?
    0 Kudos
    jasonmorse
    Level 3

I can create a Smart Device project in standalone InstallShield and include that in my Visual Studio solution.

From within Visual Studio, I can also create a new InstallShield Smart Device project but it does not get added to the solution. The project file does get created so I can manually include that in the solution.

However, using either method of creating the project above, once it's included in a Visual Studio solution that contains a Microsoft Smart Device CAB project the IDE will crash whenever I try to do anything that involves the InstallShield editor.
    0 Kudos
    DebbieL
    Level 17

Ah, I'm not sure what is causing that problem. This is logged as issue IOA-000053978 in our tracking system. Thank you for reporting this.
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

I attached the InstallShield 2010 SP1 hotfix for this issue to this post. In order to apply the fix, you need to copy IsWizCE.dll to the C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\System folder. Note that it is an unofficial fix as it is not fully tested by our QA team. So I strongly recommend that you make a backup copy of the original file before applying it.

Regards.
    0 Kudos