cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeSharefaith
Level 2

InstallShield 2015 Limited Edition

Hey everyone,

So I recently had to make a massive change to an already existing (and old) install add-on for Powerpoint. The previous developer used visual studios to build it and used a different installer that is no longer available. we had to upgrade our visual studios to 2015 to make the necessary changes to the install program that we needed. Along with that we had to use the InstallShield installer instead of the old installer that is no longer available through visual studios. I went through and stumbled my way through updating the program and got it to work now and it seemed to work just fine. However there are some inconsistent issues that have come up since. Each of the issues listed below isn't 100% of the users and some have the issue but others don't and there hasn't been any luck in identifying the root cause.

1. Our customers who used the product and had the older version installed can't upgrade to the new one
2. Customers on certain versions of Office and Windows can't get it to work. (primarily windows 7 and office 2010 or windows 10 and office 2013)
3. majority of issues are fixed when having them upgrade to office 2016

Because our calls and tickets on the item have skyrocketed since deploying the change my worry is that the configuration of the installer wasn't done correctly. I'm not sure what info would be needed to help troubleshoot this but I could really use some help. The installer was the largest change to the whole update of the program and the most unknown of how to do it properly.

Thanks,
Mike
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MikeSharefaith
Level 2

MikeSharefaith wrote:
Hey everyone,

So I recently had to make a massive change to an already existing (and old) install add-on for Powerpoint. The previous developer used visual studios to build it and used a different installer that is no longer available. we had to upgrade our visual studios to 2015 to make the necessary changes to the install program that we needed. Along with that we had to use the InstallShield installer instead of the old installer that is no longer available through visual studios. I went through and stumbled my way through updating the program and got it to work now and it seemed to work just fine. However there are some inconsistent issues that have come up since. Each of the issues listed below isn't 100% of the users and some have the issue but others don't and there hasn't been any luck in identifying the root cause.

1. Our customers who used the product and had the older version installed can't upgrade to the new one
2. Customers on certain versions of Office and Windows can't get it to work. (primarily windows 7 and office 2010 or windows 10 and office 2013)
3. majority of issues are fixed when having them upgrade to office 2016

Because our calls and tickets on the item have skyrocketed since deploying the change my worry is that the configuration of the installer wasn't done correctly. I'm not sure what info would be needed to help troubleshoot this but I could really use some help. The installer was the largest change to the whole update of the program and the most unknown of how to do it properly.

Thanks,
Mike

Is anyone out there to help?
0 Kudos