cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Server
Level 5

InstallShield 2012 wishlist

Hello,

I would like to start to collect user requirements related to InstallShield 2012 in this thread. Please post your suggestions and proposals.

And when it comes to us:
1. Setup.exe supporting multiple product installation (customization of the products to be installed and etc.);
2. Make parts of the InstallShield functionality re-usable and re-distributable from WIX DTF custom actions as .NET libraries;
3. InstallShield Automation interface - provide simple example code in the documentation, how to add components to the InstallShield project and so on.
3. TFS integration should be improved - ready to use TeamBuild automation template(targets?) and examples of the implementation;
4. VisualStudio UI should be faster;
5. Solve licensing headaches with Standalone Build;
6. Lower price ~20% - realistic, but in fact 30-40 needed to follow the market. Maybe step by step.

That is what we initially need...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(58) Replies
Tetsuo
Level 4

32. English (United Kingdom) language

..yes Flexera, Enterprise environments DO localise their system builds and this gets picked up in repackager .ism's and triggers an "unsupported language" message when opening in InstallShield.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Please Correct The Case Number In Wish List

The Next One Is

0 Kudos
vassal
Level 3

InstallShieldScript: function AddFolderIcon : Add comments parameter
InstallShieldScript: possibility to launch a executable in standard user and admin (at the end onf installation for example)
InstallShieldScript: new functions to download files with progress bar
InstallShieldScript: new functions to create icon in the traybar (NotifyIcon)
InstallShieldScript: Installation & Bootstrapper 64 bits
InstallShieldScript: a way to manage the Status Dialog box (windows messages)
InstallShieldScript: Dialog box with complete HTML support
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Rewrite the InstallShield IDE from the ground up and base it on Windows Installer XML.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

41. ISScript Debugger: Please expand the debugger for viewing structure members.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

42. Change the silent call options for InstallScript - non MSI - based setups.
Creating response file ( /r ) is not practicable.
Better, you go the same way as MSI-Setups (/q)
0 Kudos
Richard_Winks
Level 6

Allow IsCmdBld -y ProductVersion switch to work with pure InstallScript projects. Right now it only works with MSI and InstallScript MSI projects.

I still have a few of the pure InstallScript projects to build and it requires me to script an .ism edit.
0 Kudos
Server
Level 5

Change to standard W3C xml shema... Some variant of Windows Installer XML?..
Solution for the automated installation testing and unit tesing;
Installation Specification export to MS Word, MS Excel from InstallShield and Collaboration.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

45. Make the bug tracking system public to a certain extent.

I must admit, this is not directly related to IS 2012. But it would be great if users could know the status of the bugs they submit, and when they could possibly expect a fix.
0 Kudos
Richard_Winks
Level 6

I'll withdraw this as DebbieL pointed out that this feature was added to IS2011

------ I had written ------
Allow user to set Setup.exe version number for Basic MSI project builds.

I'm trying to get the Setup.exe to reflect the version of the product that it is installing.
See http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?p=464580#post464580
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

(two features and one bug fix request:)

1 - Allow specifying alternate skin files for different release configurations in Installscript-MSI projects (only available in pure Installscript projects for now).

2 - Enable use of Release Flags with individual Support Files.

3 - This may be a bug only affecting IS-MSI projects created in earlier versions, but I noticed with a basic MSI project if you add a new language, the string table fills up with translations of all the standard IDS_ strings (expected behavior). However, with an upgraded IS-MSI project, a large number of IDS_ACTIONTEXT_* strings are populated with English in the new language, yet these strings are still used during installation. Note that the translations can be found in other IDS_ACTIONTEXT_ strings (ones with names instead of numbers after ACTIONTEXT_), but it's time consuming to copy the translations to the correct STRING_ID fields manually. Another related bug (and the reason I know the strings such as "IDS_ACTIONTEXT_FileDirSize3" are NOT being used) is that the English strings were corrupted (perhaps when upgrading to the latest IS version) - the text appears to be in an Arabic or Asian font, and the Modified date shows Sat Dec. 30 1899.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

50. Allow "Drag 'n' Drop" files between Explorer and Component Files, again.

This feature was cut off from IS2010.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

51. MSI-Projects
Please put strings in new string table and allow us
to change/manipulate strings online during setup runs.
0 Kudos
Server
Level 5

Don't re-define default strings when Premier multilingual project opened in Professional edition InstallShield with one language.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

• Fix the precompilation of .NET assemblies so that it works:

• The current implementation hasn't been working properly since .NET 2.0 was released. It got even worse with IS 2011: it no longer works at all if .NET 4.0 is not installed on the target machine (I will start a new thread about this issue).
    • On top of that, the current implementation based on ISJITCompileActionAtInstall and ISJITCompileActionAtUnInstall is not rollbackable.
    • Allow to specify the ngen queue parameter, so that the precompilation can be queued and performed in the background, while the computer is idle.
    • Allow to hide the command line window while the precompilation takes place.

• Allow .NET assemblies to get installed to the GAC AND get precompiled.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but IS 2011 allows to set GlobalAssemblyCache as destination, and the OR get some assemblies precompiled, but not both.
  • Make the support files depend on the ReleaseFlags (already mentioned by BrHartmann a little earlier)
  • Make the billboard files depend on the ReleaseFlags
  • Allow billboard files to be language dependent in Basic MSI projects
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

58. We are using SQL - Scripts in our setups.
Please let us decide, if SQL scripts from "SQL Connection" are
to be compressed as now, or free placed on Disk1

Plenty of Admins want to see our setup SQL scripts before
installation starts. They want to adapt them, too.
In this case we are obliged to build a new setup.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Provide movable COM+ extraction utility. Right now I need to install a demo version of InstallShield on the machine that has the COM+ piece running on it to import it into the project. Once I do that I can build and modify the project on any other machine, even if said machine does have that COM+ component on it.

It would be nice if I could simply copy an EXE to the demo machine and extract all the COM+ info into a package of some sort. Then take that package to my InstallShield development machine and import into my project.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

60. Create Transform Wizard as extern modul.
In this case each system admin could create his own transformation
for network deployment.

As a working example you can get InstallTailor.
From InstallTailor Help file:

When you run InstallTailor, it simulates an installation, captures the options that you select on the installation dialogs, and creates a transform file that incorporates those selections. Because the installation is only simulated, no changes are actually made on your computer.
0 Kudos
Firefox
Level 3

Add an automatic mechanism to remove any previously installed version.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

62. Custom Action Type Calculator

Please build in an CA type calculator.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

63. Rewrite msi logfile analyser.
You can get "MSI LogFile Analyser v.3" as a well working sample.
0 Kudos