cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_Morse
Level 6

InstallScript runtime component destination?

Hello,

I need to get the runtime destination of an InstallScript component. I have an install that is run by Admins or nonAdmins that requires self-registration of files. I have 2 features and multiple components with self-registration property set for Admin mode. The nonAdmin component counterparts have a script-based destination directory that is set at runtime, and are not set to self-reg. To register in nonAdmin mode I have a FeatureEvent function that runs an open-source regsvr exe that can register files per-user. This function uses FeatureFileEnum to loop through the components and files for a particular feature. I need the component destination so I can set a full path to the file I am registering. How do I get that component destination?

-Jeff

p.s. Cross-posting to IS12 IS2009 forums.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

InstallScript doesn't provide any direct functionality for obtaining a component's destination. However, you may be able to store some information regarding each component in its containing feature's Miscellaneous field. For example, something like the following could be stored in the Miscellaneous field:
ComponentName1:TARGETDIR;ComponentName2:CUSTOMTEXTSUB

This could then be retrivied from FeatureGetData and parsed. The textsub values can be obtained from TextSubGetValue.
0 Kudos
Jeff_Morse
Level 6

I don't understand why InstallScript projects have this limitation. Oh well. I had already thought about a solution similar to yours, but not using text substituion. I'll give it a try. Thanks Josh.
0 Kudos