cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZackScott
Level 2

InstallScript MSI Wrapper Help

Hi guys,

I am currently creating an InstallScript MSI with the goals of installing prerequisites and asking the user which of 4 applications he would like to install. We are currently in a "code freeze" mode, so these 4 applications cannot be altered at the time. However, we do need to deploy them for testing, so I thought I'd create some sort of a wrapper.

The wrapper itself installs .NET 3.5 and then prompts the user. I wrote this prompt in InstallScript. Once the user chooses, the InstallScript uses the LaunchAppAndWait function to call msiexec.exe.

My question is...is there an easier way of doing this? Are there any better alternatives? My wrapper works, but there is an issue where it installs an functionless program called Wrapper that shows up in the Add/Remove Programs. Can I get rid of this?

Thanks for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

There are a few ways you could go about accomplishing this. One way would be to include the .NET 3.5 framework setup prerequisite in your InstallScript MSI project. Or, you can use an InstallScript project as a wrapper. InstallScript projects allow for maintenance mode to be disabled so that they do not appear in Add/Remove Programs or leave any registration on a target machine (Project->Settings | Maintenance contains this setting).
0 Kudos