cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljchipman
Level 3

Install works half the time

I have an InstallScript project, made a single-executable for the install. It works exactly half the time / every other time. I run it once, and it is able to create the files that are created by my scripting, but it does not install any of the files that are just copied in. I run it again, install into a different directory, and it works just fine. I run it once more, it doesn't work. Run it again, it does. Any idea what is going on?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
kaneohe
Level 6

Is it possible that every time it fails it's actually doing an uninstall instead of an install?
0 Kudos
ljchipman
Level 3

I think when it fails, it's doing "maintenance" rather than a new install. I cannot figure out how to get what I want. I just got done trying Maintenance Experience of Multi-Instance, which sounded promising. But if I run the install a second time, I get a dialog that asks if I want a new install or to repair/reinstall an existing one. I don't want to see that dialog; I just want it to always do a new install, and I want each install to appear separately in Add/Remove Programs. I don't want any Maintenance at all. The "Standard" Maintenance Experience looked right, only it doesn't work half the time. What do I click on to make it work the way I want?
0 Kudos
ljchipman
Level 3

I am so sick of screwing around with this. I have been working on it, off and on, for months now.

I WILL PAYPAL $50 TO THE FIRST PERSON WHO SOLVES MY PROBLEM.
0 Kudos
ljchipman
Level 3

Well, in case anyone is helped by this info, the problem only occurs on Vista. I think it is a Vista bug. If a Vista user runs my install a second time and it doesn't work, he'll just have to run it a third time, I guess.
0 Kudos