cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amarjeet
Level 7

Install one 64 bit component in 32 bit installation

Hi

My installation is 32 bit. One of the component in installation is special. Installation search for installation of another software on the computer. If its 32 bit my installation copies few files in its work directory ( ...........Program Files(x86)\xyz\work). If its 64 bit installation installation should copy it in directory ( ...........Program Files\xyz\work)

As the latter is 64 bit installation, my installation does not copy files in 64 bit installation directory but copies in 32 bit installation folder instead.

Is there any elegant approach to achieve this maybe through custom actions etc. Creating separate 64 bit installation for just one component is not the option,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amarjeet
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Have you checked out this blog post?
0 Kudos
Amarjeet
Level 7

Hi Hidenori,

This blog post talks about creating two releases. I don't want to create two separate releases. I want to install the files using 32 bit release.

Thanks.

Amarjeet
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

As the blog post mentioned, 32-bit Windows Installer–based installations cannot install to 64-bit locations although they can run on most 64-bit machines. In order to accomplish your requirements, you may want to consider using Suite/Advanced UI and Advanced UI installations that enable you to reference either 32-bit or 64-bit locations, and they can launch 32-bit or 64-bit installations, depending on the target system. You will still need to build two separate Windows Installer-based installations for 32-bit and 64-bit, and then unify them with a Suite/Advanced UI and Advanced UI installation. Please refer to the following help topics for more information:

0 Kudos