cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterbi
Level 7

Install on unsupported platforms

Hi,

I found the following thread for IS12 http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=158282&highlight=unsupported+platforms

I got he similar question: I don't have 9x systems around, but some of our clients may have. I want to prevent them from installing our product (IS2009 InstalllScript project) on systems older than W2K SP4, so I set 'Platforms' property at the project level (Installation Information->General Information->Project Properties->Platforms). I have three questions:

1) Is this enough to prevent users from installing on pre-W2K systems?

2) If so, what message (error) will they get when trying on pre-W2K systems? I need the exact texts so I can put it in our document.

3) How can I control W2K SP4? I can only set Windows version in 'Platforms' panel, how can I set SP4 for W2K?

I feel that I may still need to add script code to check (and error out) the target platforms and SP level, but hope IS2009 is good enough to do it for me.

Thanks,
Peter
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please click the Help button on the Platforms dialog box, which brings up:
Specifying platforms at the project level does not create target system requirements for running the installation. To create target system requirements in an InstallScript project, you can use the SYSINFO structure to identify the operating platform of the target system.

So yes, the setting has to do with development/build-time filtering, and you'll want code in OnBegin or OnAppSearch to test system requirements...
0 Kudos