cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

Install location

I have the following default location set up in my UIP project.

$D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName) which on AIX translates to

/opt/GEHC/InSite.

How can I customize the install location so that the installation is complete regardless of the path specified?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
MEinstaller
Level 7

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying that your install is not complete if you choose to install in a different directory than the default location?:confused:
0 Kudos
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

Yes, that is correct. I tested it again just to be sure..

When I pick a different location, for( e.g.: /work2/GEHC/Insite) on AIX..the installer does only a partial install.

Would I have to write some custom event/script that would propogate the user selected location to all the folders that need to be installed?

Thanks
0 Kudos
jweber
Level 6

Are you sure it does a partial install? What I mean is - Do all the files get installed but some to the user selected location and some to somewhere else?
0 Kudos
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

Nope..I don't think so. I ran the find command for a particular binary file and I found only one instance of it under the default one /opt/GEHealtchare/InSite2

The help section talks something about absoluteInstalllocation and RelativeInstallLocation

Not sure how to set up a relativeInstallLocation. Right now the components in the project are set up to be installed at

$D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName)

Any ideas on how can change this to relative?

Thanks
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Features and components automatically inherit their parent's Install Location. For example, if you set the root product bean's Install Location as you have, and leave every feature's and component's Install Location empty, then all the components' files will be installed to the same directory.

You can also enter a relative name (such as subdir) as a component's Install Location, and the subdirectory will be appended to its parent's destination.
0 Kudos
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

This is a way of pre-configuring the install location by adding subdir to the install location.

My problem is if the user specifically selects a different install location by clicking on "Browse" from the destination dialog and selecting a totally different path for the installation.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, the subdirectories will be added to the actual install location at run time, and not just added to the default location...
0 Kudos
jweber
Level 6

Click on Installation Design. Then find the top most item(product root). Set the install location to $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName).

Now, if each feature/component underneath has a blank install location field the files should be installed into the root.

If a feature has a install location of temp and the root is $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName), items in underneath the feature will be installed to $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName)/temp.

If a feature has a blank install location but its child component has a install location of temp, items will be installed in to $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName)/temp...
0 Kudos
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

jweber wrote:
Click on Installation Design. Then find the top most item(product root). Set the install location to $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName).

This is set..resolves to /opt/GE Healthcare/InSite2.0
Now, if each feature/component underneath has a blank install location field the files should be installed into the root.
If a feature has a install location of temp and the root is $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName), items in underneath the feature will be installed to $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName)/temp.

If a feature has a blank install location but its child component has a install location of temp, items will be installed in to $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName)/temp...

There are only 2 sets of file that I want installed. One set goes into bin and the other set goes into cfg

So the installation paths would be

/opt/GE Healthcare/InSite2/bin - Installation location for binary files
/opt/GE Healthcare/InSite2/cfg - Installation location for config files

This is working fine....

How can I change the root $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName) at run time?.

For e.g.: if the user selects /work2/GEHC/InSite2 as the location(because of let's saydisk space constraints), then the root installation $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName) should change to /work2/GEHC/InSite2 and the corresponding installation paths should be;

/work2/GEHC/InSite2/bin
/work2/GEHC/Insite2/cfg

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working...

Thanks
0 Kudos
jweber
Level 6

How can I change the root $D(install)/$P(vendor)/$P(displayName) at run time?.

This should be handled by the default destination dialog. The install location should be represented in the $P(absoluteInstallLocation) resolver ( which may help you debug )

This is pretty basic functionality, so you are probably doing something that I am overlooking.... Perhaps post a paired down project file would help...
0 Kudos
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

Attached is the UIP file. I am trying to install items under "File Updates/Copies" component.

The remaining components are inactive and are not included in the installation.

Thanks
0 Kudos
jweber
Level 6

Try this...
0 Kudos
Praveen_Durbha
Level 6

Thanks.. I got it to work finally..
0 Kudos