cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esrar322
Level 3

Install failing with Local System \ NT Authority

Hi All,

My installer fails when I invoke my batch file with Local System or NT authority account.

msiexec /i "myproduct.msi" ALLUSERS=2 /q /l*v c:\myproduct_Install.log

Log file shows the following:Installation success or error status: 1603.

Closest related help that I found so far was the following:
=========================================================
MichaelU
12-08-2011, 11:48 AM
The problem is due to 64-bit folder redirection. We cache to the system account's LocalAppDataFolder which is redirected to a 32-bit version because it's under C:\Windows\System32; but then we tell Windows Installer to install it and it looks in the non-redirected 64-bit location instead.

I'm not sure what the best fix is as this time. One option might be to use an alternate cache location such as the ProgramData folder.
=========================================================

How do I specify an alternate cache location as a parameter in the msiexec command?

Is there a solution out there for successfully installing (via msiexec /i product.msi) using local system \ NT authority account?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't think that my previous post applies to this situation; that case was when launched from a setup.exe set to cache the .msi locally under LocalAppDataFolder. In your case, you're bypassing the setup.exe (so it cannot misbehave), and you will have to diagnose why you receive a 1603. Typically you can look near the first "return value 3" in your log for a better idea of what action is failing.
0 Kudos