cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aariefe
Level 2

Install condition evaluated after pre-requisite installation

I want to stop my product being installed on Win XP. I have excluded it in install condition but it installs all the pre-requisites and only stops features components from being installed.

I want that even install condition to be evaluated at the begining.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

Pre-requisites are part of the Setup.exe and get installed BEFORE the Setup.exe spawns the MSI. It is the MSI that checks the Launch Conditions.

No way that I know of to accomplish your goal using InstallShield because you don't author the Setup.exe yourself, it is built for you by InstallShield when you compile your project.

It is likely possible using WiX (Windows Installer XML from Microsoft) because in that case you have some control over the Setup.exe and can make it so it blocks on Windows XP.
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

One thought - You could try changing the PRQ files for your pre-requisites and set a Condition in each of them, though, to block on Windows XP. Have you used the Prerequisite Editor under the Tools menu before? I think that might accomplish what you are after, but you might need to experiment some and see.
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

I said to block on XP, but what you really do in a PRQ is tell it "Setup is running on a specified platform", and then choose all versions you want the PRQ to run on. Any OS that you do not choose should be ignored.
0 Kudos
aariefe
Level 2

chad.petersen wrote:
I said to block on XP, but what you really do in a PRQ is tell it "Setup is running on a specified platform", and then choose all versions you want the PRQ to run on. Any OS that you do not choose should be ignored.

I removed Win XP from all the pre-requistes. Now when I launch my installer, it stops installation abruptly without showing the install condition message. However the same works as per expectation on Win 7 and later. I am using Installshield 2015.
0 Kudos
FlappingCrane
Level 3

Another option would be to assign the prerequiste to a feature in the installation instead of installing before feature selection (the default setting).

In the Installation Designer view, select "Application Data" > "Redistributables". Now in the Redistributables view, select the desired Prerequisite and look at the "Conditional Installation" section below it. You will see that the option "Install before feature selection" is checked. If you instead check the box for one of the listed Features in your installation package, then the prerequisite will (1) only be installed if that feature is installed, and (2) run after the MSI is extracted and processed by setup.exe. You could even create a Feature in your install project just for to assign your prerequisites.
0 Kudos