cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LisaSmile
Level 4

Install Windows Vista Patch Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu

I need to install Windows Vista Patch Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu and and let windows Help (winHlp32.exe) to work in our application, I used the custom action and in the filename and command line: "wusa.exe" "[INSTALLDIR] Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu" to install it and put Exec sequence After PublishProduct, I use basic MSI, I got following error, Is there any wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Not applicable

It's not suggested that you install Microsoft Updates as a part of your installation - and especially it would not be the best idea to do so during the deferred sequence of your installation.

Have you considered including this file as a prerequisite to your install?
0 Kudos
LisaSmile
Level 4

Good point, I did not try that yet, I need to check out how to do it as a prerequisite. Thanks, 🙂
0 Kudos
LisaSmile
Level 4

I did try to do it as a prerequisite, but it does not working, I tried the script and custom action for the script code, it also does not working too ( the same result), any body can help me with it. the script as followed:

szProgram="C:\\Windows\\System32\\wusa.exe";
szCmdLine=INSTALLDIR^"KB917607x86.msu";
LongPathToQuote( szCmdLine, TRUE );

szDirectory= "C:\\Windows\\System32\\";
nShowWindow = SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED;
nTimeOut= INFINITE;
nOptions = LAAW_OPTION_USE_SHELLEXECUTE | LAAW_OPTION_WAIT;

if( LaunchApplication(szProgram,szCmdLine,szDirectory,nShowWindow,nTimeOut,nOptions)< ISERR_SUCCESS) then
MessageBox ("Unable to launch "+ szProgram +".",SEVERE);
endif;
0 Kudos
LisaSmile
Level 4

I finally figure it out to create our own exe to install it as a prerequisite, I am disappointed by this version of installshield, Installshield user manual should provide a solution for it.
:confused:
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Lisa,

I'm sorry that the InstallShield user manual did not meet your needs. Can you explain a little more about what is missing in the documentation in this area? There is documentation on how to create setup prerequisites and how to add them as redistributables to Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects. You can search the InstallShield Help Library for "setup prerequisite" for more information. Is this what you're looking for? Or something else? One thing that the help does not specifically mention is that InstallShield does not have support for creating setup prerequisites for .msu files. This is something that we are considering for a future release.

As Bryan pointed out, it is not recommended that Windows updates be deployed through installations. This particular Windows update--WinHlp32.exe for Windows Vista--is really not recommended, as discussed in the Microsoft KB article. Is converting your help system to a newer format an option? It's possible that new versions of Windows after Windows Vista won't have this kind of WinHlp32.exe Windows update, so you may be forced to eventually convert your help system anyway. As the Microsoft KB article states, "The WinHlp32.exe technology will not be supported in its current form in future Windows releases. Therefore, we strongly recommend that software developers do not use this Windows Help program any longer in Windows Vista. Software developers who ship programs that rely on .hlp files are encouraged to transition their Help system to an alternative Help file format, such as .chm, .html, or .xml. They will also have to change their calls from the WinHelp API to the new content source. Several third-party tools are available to help software developers convert Help content from one format to the other format."

Thanks,
Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
LisaSmile
Level 4

Hi Debbie Landers,
InstallShield Manual did not mention of regasm NotNet.DLL and creating setup prerequisites for .msu files and more. it is better if InstallShield provided the detail answer or solution of the questions from user in this forum , it would be much more helpful. it is better to provide the screen shot and demo of step by step to using InstallShield to create a custom action in window Vista or create custom dialog, custom skin ....
I hope it is better in the future.
0 Kudos