cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jorbjo
Level 2

Install Shield LE uses absolute paths

I have created a solution that has a InstallShield LE Project. In this Project I have selected an Icon to display in add/remove programs.

The name of this Icon is stored witn an absolute path (ie D:\Folder\Subfolder\Icon.ico)

When my friend/Coworker recieves a copy of my solution on his laptop he stores it on Another drive (C:) and in a different folder structure.
When he opens the solutuon he receives an error because the path to the Icon file is invalid.

IMHO: InstallShield should not rely on any Resources external to the Project. IE The Icon file should be copied to the Project folder and it should be referenced via a relative path.
If your Project is under Source Control the Icon must be included in the source and checked in to the source Control along with all other files in the Project.

We tried to remove the Icon from the InstallShield Project so that it would work on my friends computer but could find no way to do so.

Suggested fixes:
1. Do not reference any external files in the Project.
2. Copy the (Icon) file to the Project folder and include it into the Project (so that it is under source Control)
3. Reference the Icon with a relative path (not an Absoule path)
4. Add a button to remove he Icon from the Project.
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi,

I apologize for the delay in reply to your post.

Thank you for the suggestion. I shall forward the same to product management for review.

Regards,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
hmapro
Level 2

Please add this feature to InstallShield LE soon. It becomes impractical to work on projects under source control where the solution can be checked out to different paths depending on the developer. The old Visual Studio Setup Projects used to handle this so I hope this can be added quickly since it has been deprecated in VS2012/2013.

Thanks!
Horus

Chaitra wrote:
Hi,

I apologize for the delay in reply to your post.

Thank you for the suggestion. I shall forward the same to product management for review.

Regards,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hello Horus,

We will surely consider your suggestion and try implementing the same.

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos