cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shyam_eg
Level 3

Install Shield Basic MSI setup fails to run from network share

we have used Install Shield 2011 Basic MSI Setup project to package components and build setup files. we are able to execute setup.exe from local disk path, when we execute setup.exe from network share, the setup fails to call custom action .net assembly class methods. what I have observed is, that the custom action assembly is not getting loaded into temporary folder. similarly we have Install Script project where we can execute and call custom action methods from network share as well.

Please let me know what could have gone wrong with Basic MSI setup project, if you are looking for more details I can provide you. this is very important for our customers and scheduled for next month delivery.

Please help in solving the issue.

Shyam
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MSIYER
Level 8

Its difficult to say for sure without knowing how your setup is packaged.

Do you have an Administrative install on the nwtwork share from where you are invoking the install?

We do not have a concept od custom actions in Installscript. Still can you explain more about your Installscript project.

In any case read about the Code Access Security Policy for .NET.
Also, understand that .NET assemblies will not run from network share without explicit rights being provided to them.

Further,
If the custom action isn't marked Impersonate="yes" MSI runs it as the local system account, which won't have access to network shares.
0 Kudos