cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arshad
Level 2

Install SQL Server 2008 Express Silently With My Application Setup

Dear Experts

I want to install microsoft sql server 2008 express edition silently with my setup. As I dont want my customers to download and install the sql server manually. So I am looking to embed the sql server express 2008 within my setup using install shield 2010 preminum edition.

To do so I did the following steps in installshield 2010 premium edition

Edited PRQ file using Prerequisite Editor with below information

Added
SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe to the "Files To Include" tab.

Also added
SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe to the "Application to Run" tab in the "Specify the application you wish to launch:" text box.

Added
/q /INSTANCENAME="SQLEXPRESS2" /ACTION="Install" /FEATURES=SQLENGINE,SSMS /HELP="False" /INDICATEPROGRESS="False" /QUIETSIMPLE="True" /X86="True" /ERRORREPORTING="False" /SQMREPORTING="False" /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE="Automatic" /FILESTREAMLEVEL="0" /ENABLERANU="True" /SQLCOLLATION="Latin1_General_CI_AS" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\Administrators" /SECURITYMODE="SQL" /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN="True" /TCPENABLED="1" /NPENABLED="0" /SAPWD="qwerty123"

To the "Specify the command line for the application:" text box
Added
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100
to the "Conditions" tab and set it to
install if "Registry Key Does NOT exist"

Then saved it and reference it in your "Redistributables View"

As far as other prerequisities are concerned they are already installed on the machine.

When I run my custom setup on the client machine sql server 2008 express crashed in between with an error message as

"Specifying more than one quite mode setting is not supported. specifying either /q or /qs".

I tried by changing the parameter from /q to /qs the embeded sql setup works fine, but I dont need to run the sql setup like this as in this case the gui screen of the sql are visible and ask for some user intervention.

Please let me know what is wrong in the PRQ setting so that I will be in a position to run the SQL server silently with my setup.

With Regards
Hussain
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Cygnusx1
Level 8

extract the .msi; make a transform for your specific application; call a reinstall of SQL Server with your transform.
0 Kudos