cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbarlow
Level 7

Install Error: Verifying File: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86

I have a Basic MSI installation with a chained .msi attached. I install Windows Installer 4.5 as a prerequisite and it works fine on most machines. However, I ran into a problem when trying to install on a Korean Windows XP operating system. When the installer tries to run the Windows Installer 4.5 prerequisite, I get these windows in rapid succession:

Extracting Files
Verifying File: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86

Extraction Failed
X ?? ??, ???? ?? ?? ?? ??? ??? ????.

Not a very helpful error message, I know. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks for your help!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
cbarlow
Level 7

I'm almost positive this is related to computer usernames that have Korean characters. I set up a user account on the Korean machine that had an English username and no longer had the problem.

Since I can't tell all of our Korean customers that they need to create a separate user account without Korean characters in order to install our software - is there any hope this problem can get fixed sometime soon?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Are you using the Unicode setup launcher? That may resolve problems if you are streaming the prerequisites into setup.exe.

If you've managed to reproduce this and you're placing the prerequisite on the media (not compressed), does placing the WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86 file in such a directory, and double clicking it, does it work?
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I'm using the Unicode setup launcher.
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I should add that I'm a little less positive that the username is the only issue...

I set up a Korean Windows XP Virtual Machine and ran the install with both an English and Korean username. The installer worked fine on both. I still can't figure out what might be different about the Korean laptop where the problem first arose. I'll send more information as I gather it.
0 Kudos