cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandwich
Level 4

Install Driver package on 32 or 64 bit conditionally

I am working with an MSI project (IS 2010) and need to install a driver package conditionally on 32 or 64 bit.

Currently InstallShield takes care of the 32 bit installation. I had to write a custom action to call dpinst.exe for 64 bit.

This works fine but curious if there is a way to do this without the custom action but using only the one installer for both conditions?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Alvezz
Level 3

I created two releases (64 & 32-bit), using "Template summary".
And create setup.exe for our ourselves.
This setup start right msi with current operation system.

BR, Alexander
It was not all sunshine and roses.
0 Kudos
sandwich
Level 4

Thanks for the reply...some more detail...

In the msi project...under components >>> advanced settings >>> device driver. You can include a device driver in your component.

Under Device Driver machine architecture there are three radio buttons. Here you can choose to target 32 or 64 bit. In this component I choose to target a 32 bit machine with this driver.

Now I create a second component and under components >>> advanced settings >>> device driver I choose to target only 64 bit machines.

Save this....

Now open the first component and InstallShield changes the device driver target to 64 bit machines like the second component with no warning at all.

Has anyone else run into this?
0 Kudos
Alvezz
Level 3

It's different this time. I have two Merge Modules with drivers. I can not added 64-bit Merge Module to 32-bit release physically (compilation was aborted).

You can make 2 Merge Modules from your drivers too 🙂
May be it is bypass for this problem.
0 Kudos