cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tklancer
Level 4

Include path in add/remove product name?

Hi all... I don't know if this is an obvious question or not, but nothing I've tried so far has worked, and my googling/help doc searches haven't come up with anything either.

We're using the multiple instance support in IS2009, which works pretty well, but all of the instances show up with the same name in the Add/Remove control panel. Because of this, you can't tell which instance you're uninstalling. To fix this, we'd like to include the installed path in the add/remove display name (so, go from "Microsoft Foobar" to "Microsoft Foobar "). Variable substitution ("Microsoft Foobar [INSTALLDIR]") doesn't seem to work, and neither does changing the ProductName property at runtime. Any thoughts on a solution?

Thanks,
-Tom
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I haven't walked all the way through it, but how and where are you attempting to modify ProductName?
0 Kudos
tklancer
Level 4

I had a custom InstallScript action, executing just before RegisterClassInfo. It just called MsiGetProperty to get the current value, added INSTALLDIR, and then set it again with MsiSetProperty. Which step sets the registry info for add/remove, anyway?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

RegisterProduct sets up the Add or Remove Programs information. Does MsiSetProperty succeed? Does the correct modified value show up in a MessageBox? In an MSI log file?
0 Kudos