cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ramanathan2017
Level 2

Im not able to Install IIS Through InstallShield

Im using Installshield 2015 im not able to install default IIS based on Operating System. Please help me regarding IIS Installation in Installshield.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

Microsoft changes how all of that works fairly regularly so the recommendation is to never attempt to install any Windows Components automatically - Simply detect what is missing, warn the user and exit. In the warning you can give a hint as to how to proceed.

Otherwise, any hotfix or service pack that MSFT releases could easily break your installer and you would only have yourself to blame.

I like to make robust installers that do not rely on anything that is not recommended.

Chad
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Microsoft changes how all of that works fairly regularly so the recommendation is to never attempt

This /\

I was told once that we absolutely had to do this, because we can't trust our users to know how, so please take a look at it, would you?

What I ended up with was a prerequisite batch file of surprising complexity, because across a handful of supported windows versions you've got:

• Different command line tools for installing windows features
  • Even across two versions with the same command line tools, the windows feature names change
  • Sometimes they change what subfeature a feature belongs to
  • Sometimes they change the dependencies of the feature
  • The solution Microsoft created for this (powershell DSC) isn't necessarily supported across all platforms
  • And if it was, you'd have to install Powershell to start with
  • Which is a windows feature in itself, so return to step 1 and start over with the task of installing a windows feature.
0 Kudos