Execute Sequence?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes and no. There's nothing about the MSI tables that would prevent this. However if you do so, many prerequisites would be likely to fail due to MSI running only a single execute sequence at a time.

But to really answer, why would you want ISInstallPrerequisites in the execute sequence? If it's for silent installations, you need to kick those off through setup.exe or install the prerequisites manually. Is this something that would be better handled by a suite installation?
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Hello,
yes it should work as silent msi-setup without exe wrapper.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Once upon a time I wrote a non-traditional bootstrapper using a Basic MSI project. To get around the mutex limitations in Windows Installer ( one execute sequence per machine and one ui sequence per process ) and still meet the spirit of a non-interactive installation experience I did the following:

Per CA's in the UI sequence after the Execute action that created processes to run the chained MSI's in.

Ran the `bootstrapper` with /QR instead of /QB. This processes the UI sequence but skips the authored dialogs. It wasn't perfect but it made everyone happy for 5-6 years ( and counting ).
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Hello Christopher,

it is all true, what do you write.

But my setup should runs in silent mode, without setup.exe, too.

So, if I decide to write own wrapper for startting a chain of msi setups at the end of main installation, I would put it in execution seq.

There are szenarios:
1. Normal installation with UI:
wrapper starts after Dialog "Setup success"

2. Silent installation without UI:
wrapper starts at the end of main setup
0 Kudos