cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ISDEV : warning -7212: The icon for the setup.exe could not be updated

In the Setup.exe tab of Suite project's release viewer, i set Setup.exe icon file,
then build this project, get the following warning:

"ISDEV : warning -7212: The icon for the setup.exe could not be updated. Setup.exe will use the default icon."

This is limitations in the evaluation version of InstallShield 2012?

Kevin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I don't believe this is an evaluation limitation. Can you successfully use this icon for setup.exe in a Basic MSI or InstallScript project? Could you attach the icon's source file here for us to look into?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

MichaelU wrote:
I don't believe this is an evaluation limitation. Can you successfully use this icon for setup.exe in a Basic MSI or InstallScript project? Could you attach the icon's source file here for us to look into?

Hi, Michael

The icon is extracted from system file Notepad.exe.
It's ok in the Basic MSI or InstallScript project, just for Suite project failure.

Kevin
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Update: I have tried to specify a single icon file directly, it's ok in Suite project.
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

I'm running into the same issue. I'm using a .ico file which has worked fine with other non-suite IS projects for replacing the setup.exe icon. I tried some other .ico files as well, including smaller ones (the intended one supports up to 256 x 256, 32bit for full win7 support, but I also tried an older 48x48 (also 32bit) icon). I cleared the read-only flag on the .ico file, but this didn't help.

Since I haven't seen a flood of reports of this error, and Kevin indicated it now works for him, it sounds like this is intermittent, or only affects certain users. Can anyone shed some light on other potential causes or workarounds for this problem?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

I have seen this in the suite packages with all scenario's. The Icons we use work fine in the basic MSI packages. Is there a specific requirement for the suite icon?
0 Kudos
CoreyZ
Level 5

I also am having issues. My ico file works in basic msi packages just fine but will not work on the suite project. I have the full premier edition, not the evaluation.
0 Kudos
JohnCresswell
Flexera Alumni

The attached zip file contains a fix for the original problem reported, the issue with specifying an icon from within a non .ico file.

To apply this fix please follow the instructions below
- Close all instances of the IDE
- Make a backup of ISToolsU9.dll from the System folder below the InstallShield 2012 installation folder
- Drop the new file in place
- Open IDE and build

If there are any problems please let me know.

This fix is targeted specifically for the problem with non .ico files. I have not been able to reproduce the problem of using an ico file in house so if you are experiencing this problem could you please provide file that can be used to demonstrate this issue and I will take a look.
0 Kudos
BrHartmann
Level 7

Thanks for the hotfix John. I thought I'd give it a try even though you mentioned it targetted the non-ICO file case, but it did in fact fix the issue I was having using a .ICO file, so all is well now. Wanted to mention it for others who are also using .ICO files and facing this issue.
0 Kudos
jonathanqis
Level 6

I happen to have created an executable in Visual Studio that has its icon declared as a string id i.e. "APPICON" against the ico file. I get the same warning message -7212 when i try to use that icon from that executable file but no problems when using the source ico file from the HDD. N.B. My project is an Installscript MSI one.
Could this be causing your warning ?

I tried the fix you suggested and replaced the ISToolsU9.dll, but it did not fix the warning.
0 Kudos
CoreyZ
Level 5

JohnCresswell wrote:

This fix is targeted specifically for the problem with non .ico files. I have not been able to reproduce the problem of using an ico file in house so if you are experiencing this problem could you please provide file that can be used to demonstrate this issue and I will take a look.

John,

I have attached the ico file that I am attempting to use as the Suite project's ARP icon. It errors with:
ISDEV : warning -7212: The icon for the setup.exe could not be updated. Setup.exe will use the default icon.

0 Kudos
Michael_Marmack
Level 3

I was having trouble with .ico files as well. The patched dll provided for other type files also worked to fix my .ico issue.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

CoreyZ: I meant to ask earlier, but what operating system are you building on? I was able to use your icon successfully, but that was on a Windows 7 machine.
0 Kudos
kalpeshgedia
Level 2

setup.exe not build using my custom icon, throws error: "ISDEV : warning -5031: The icon for the setup.exe could not be updated. Setup.exe will use the default icon." even after download and replace the "istoolsu9.dll".

Using Myicon48x48.ico file as custom icon but the setup.exe always build with default MSI icon, This problem facing from last few days only before that it worked without any problem.

Please help me to resolve this error.
0 Kudos